Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Cushing performances
I thought I'd never see!

I love Hammer's "Hound of the Baskervilles" that stars Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes. I am also very fond of Tyburn's "The Mask of Death," one of Peter Cushings final performances, where he portrayed an elderly Holmes during WWI.

As such, I have been intrigued by the 1968 BBC television series where he played Sherlock Holmes. I have wanted to see an episode since I first heard it existed, but I had always assumed that it was one of those TV things that had been erased by the passage of time.

But Hosana!, and may God save the Queen and BBC archivists! On December 15, a DVD collection of the only five episodes (out of 16) that are known to survive will be released for all of us Cushing fans to enjoy!


I will be posting reviews of Cushing film appearances as Holmes at the beginning of December to celebrate... and I'll eventually review this set too.

In the meantime, I think I can suggest an excellent Christmas gift for any Peter Cushing fan that you love. I recommend pre-ordering a copy today, using the handy-dandy link below! (As for me, I'm emailing Santa to volunteer to muck out the raindeer stable to see if I can motivate him to bring me a copy....)



No comments:

Post a Comment